Sunday 11 November 2012

Operation Part 1

So the next two weeks passed with a few more appointments including a pre assessment clinic to ensure I was ready for surgery and a MRI scan at the old Pembury Hospital where funnily enough I was born! The pre assessment was to check bloods, urine, height, weight, MRSA swabs etc and to book a bed on Intensive Care should I need it. They gave me some more literature to read about the actual op and about Peale Ward where I would be looked after. They explained I would have a line inserted into my neck - a CVP - so bloods could be taken and blood gases taken etc with ease and I would have drains in my stomach and a catheter. My surgeon Mr Devaja was planning for the operation to be done keyhole where he would make 2 insicions either side of my tummy and use tools to cut away all the tumour and surrounding tissue, ovaries, top of vagina, uterus and pelvic tissue. My womb would act as a kind of "pocket" to put everything in and this would be removed vaginally. If need be though he would revert to open surgery, but he promised not to unless absolutely necessary.
I actually watched the same operation as mine on You Tube before I went in! Well you know how nosey I am.
My MRI scan was just to get markers etc and to check nothing had changed. I listened to Kings of Leon again and was in there so long the CD began playing over again.

I was going to write a section on the nasty comments I received from 2 work colleagues, but then I  thought no sod them. These two women have no part in my life and therefore warrant no part in my present or future.

I went for an appointment at the Family Planning clinic (which was lovely - NOT) to have my contraceptive implant removed and had an appointment with my GP who was very good and asked if Dylan & Glen were ok and that if they needed anything to let him know.

So the day dawned. 18th November 2009. 22 days after I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer I was going to hospital to have it all removed along with my ability to carry another child. I was worried about feeling less of a woman and was worried about the effect on my sex life to be blunt. I am 36 yrs old and have a lot of years left yet!
My brother stayed the night before so he could see Glen off to school the next morning. Glen had a science GCSE that day, but the school had contacted the examination board to let them know as in special circumstances you can get special dispensation. I said goodbye to them both. Leaving Glen was very hard and I tried my hardest not to cry, but blubbed in the car all the way along the M20. we didn't listen to the radio as I didn't want any songs in my head for the day lol.
We made our way along the corridor to the Admissions Unit stopping to take a call from my Nana on the way which again made me cry. We waited in the unit for a little while and then Mark the anaesthetist came to see me. He told me he would give me a strong pre med before going to theatre and would give me plenty of pain relief and anti sickness medication while I was asleep. The predicted time of the operation was 4 hours. I thanked him and begged him "Please don't let me feel sick!" He promised to do his best.
I was then sent down to the gynae oncology office and treatment room. I was to have a Sentinel procedure. This procedure was only carried out for Cervical Cancer at Maidstone Hospital & the London Bridge Clinic, but was carried out nationwide for breast cancer. It involves a green radioactive dye being injected into the cervix. This then "lights" up the lymph node chains by clinging to the Sentinel Node or main node to enable the surgeon to remove the correct nodes that may be affected. This prevents the need for each chain of nodes to be sent for a quick analysis while you lie in theatre. I was sent off with my huge bundle of notes in a brown paper bag.
I went into the treatment room with Mr Devaja, a radiographer and Keli (Mcmillan Nurse). Dylan had to wait outside as the room was so small. I laid in a chair with my legs in "rests" and assumed the usual position! The radioactive dye was injected directly into my cervix with no anaesthetic, which was very pleasant! I came out of the room walking like John Wayne. Dylan hadn't realised the dye was going into my cervix, he thought it was just going into my vein in my arm so he gave me a huge delicate hug. We sat in the waiting room and by now I had my dressing gown and slippers on which those of you that know me well know this would have been heaven as I love my dressing gown. I was warned my skin may have a green hue and my wee may be green.
We waited to be called along to nuclear medicine to have a scan to see if the dye had taken. within the hour I was wheeled along to have the scan. They were all lovely along there and kept apologising for keeping me waiting. It was now 12:30pm and my operation was schelduled for 1pm and I hadn't been to the ward or had my pre med yet, but I was actually quite calm.

After the scan which confirmed everything was lit up as it should be I went along to Peale Ward. I had been on that ward when I had my bladder op 2 months previously so I knew the staff on there. I was shown to my bed and a student nurse began to complete some paperwork. She was asking about previous illness and medical history. Well the only history I had was gynae problems including Poly Cystic Ovaries & Endometriosis along with the bladder issues. The gynae problems would all be removed within the next few hours so I didn't see the point in going over them to be honest. I was saved from the paperwork by the porter turning up to take me to theatre. The nurse rushed over as apparently by law I had to do a pregnancy test! I mean what would I have done had it been positive? What a situation. Of course it was negative, I had only had my implant removed yesterday.

I got on the bed and panic set in. I was crying uncontrollably as I was wheeled along the corridor. I hadn't had my pre med so wasn't calm at all. I passed Sandra (the recovery nurse who had looked after me before) in the corridor and she later told me that she had never seen anyone so frightened. Dylan came into the first part of the reception area and cuddled me. He was sobbing, I was sobbing, the 2 nurses were crying. I have never wanted to hold onto Dylan so much in my life. He had to let me go and I now realise how tough it must have been for him to walk away and be alone. I had staff all around me taking care of me, but he had to walk back down the corridor and drive home alone.

I was checked over and wheeled down to theatre. Mark apologised for me not having my pre med and gave it to me then and there in my vein. The nurses gave me tissues and encouraged me to blow my nose so I didn't go to sleep snotty.
Mark told me the anaethetic was going in and I feel asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment